Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Look For Patterns And Anomalies


Self-experimentation is more Christopher Columbus and less Pirates of the Caribbean: often the best results are accidental. For instance, I learned that early-morning light was screwing up my last REM sleep cycle after looking over my Zeo sleep headband output (Zeo went belly-up, unfortunately). So, I picked up some blackout blinds. I also discovered that I could replace coffee with 30 seconds of exercise after I decided to do a quick Crossfit workout one morning after a terrible night’s sleep. Every body is unique; mulling over your data will help you discover things you never knew helped. Before the quantified self, I used to be a roller coaster dieter, haphazardly patching together bits of advice. It rarely ever worked. Now, I know what works for my body and what doesn’t. The control has brought sanity to the typical chaos of self-improvement. With a bit of science and some technology, this might be the year that your New Year’s resolutions work.

No comments:

Post a Comment